Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pale Moon Add-ons Website Changes
Well! I just tried to download some add-ons from the Pale Moon add-ons page, and guess what? They have made it so that now you get a button that says "Upgrade Pale Moon" instead of a download button when using White Star. Sad

I guess they want to make a big F*** YOU to anybody who is forking PM? Or staying back with the older version of PM because they want to use Fx extensions?  It's outrageous, and very Mozilla-like of them.

Luckily some of the extensions I need are in other profiles, so I can extract the needed installation files from them, but I shouldn't really have to go to that trouble. And presumably, I won't get any more updates on my Mac since it uses White Star.

And when I don't upgrade on my Windows laptop because I want to keep using Fx add-ons, I won't be able to get the latest PM add-ons etiher.

They are trying so hard to make me throw up my hands and just use another browser.

If this has already been posted to the forum, sorry, I didn't have time to do a search. And needed to vent.

[Image: night.png]  “There, peeping among the cloud-wrack…, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him.”
I have not seen that.  I just downloaded an extension from its page at the Pale Moon extension site.  The button says "Install Now".  I right-click those buttons to download the .xpi file because I like to keep backups.  That still works for me.
(09-05-2021, 08:00 PM)Goodydino Wrote: I have not seen that.  I just downloaded an extension from its page at the Pale Moon extension site.  The button says "Install Now".  I right-click those buttons to download the .xpi file because I like to keep backups.  That still works for me.

I got the same experience too.
I would advice OP to backup the extensions files anyway.
I have been a bit busy but I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Update: Can you explain where you are running into issues? I went to Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons and randomly installed about 5 different extensions. They all installed without problem in 29.4.0.1. Are there specific ones you are having problems with? And are you using the official release or the experimental build?
My user-agent says it is PaleMoon/29.4.1. I am using White Star. I guess that is why I have no problem loading Pale Moon themes or extensions.
I have now seen a change in the addons site for Pale Moon. The button now says, ""Only on Pale Moon". I had to add a user-agent override for addons.palemoon.org to be able to get the add-ons. Still more annoying is the fact that User Agent Switcher (a former Firefox extension) no longer works with White Star.
(11-13-2021, 06:50 PM)Goodydino Wrote: I have now seen a change in the addons site for Pale Moon.  The button now says, ""Only on Pale Moon".  I had to add a user-agent override for addons.palemoon.org to be able to get the add-ons.  Still more annoying is the fact that User Agent Switcher (a former Firefox extension) no longer works with White Star.

A suitable alternative for U.A.S. may possibly be found.
User Agent Switcher installs and works in Pale Moon for Mac 29.1
But it does NOT install in White Star ("incompatible")

Session Manager installs in all Mozilla derived forks running on Mac 1.7.5 (FF Classic, Serpent, Waterfox, Arctic Fox...)
But it does NOT install in W.S. ("incompatible").

Since Pale Moon slammed the door to White Star and to MacOS in general a White Star Repository will be advisable.
I can't get extensions for my recent (and last for OSX) 29.1 Pale Moon. It tells me to update (to windows or linux, I guess). This ridiculous pettiness is absurd. The extensions are platform neutral.

Quite a few extensions that worked a couple of months ago are not working in White Star. How many changes have taken place between 29.1 and 29.4.2?

In fact, I am using the White Star forum from my Pale Moon Browser. White Star says "here be monsters" when I click on the forum link at dbsoft.org ...and when I try to override the warnings it doesn't budge. The White Star is locked out of its own forum (?) Anyone with this problem? The sooner White Star severs all its existing links with Pale Moon the better (?)

Should I delete everything and start from scratch?
I added a user-agent override in about:config in order to download add-ons from the Pale Moon add-ons site.
general.useragent.override.addons.palemoon.org set to Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:68.0) Goanna/4.8 PaleMoon/29.4.2
As for User Agent Switcher, I edited install.rdf in the .xpi installer and changed PM's max version line to this:
<em:maxVersion>30.*</em:maxVersion>
Increasing the max version will stop the protest that it is incompatible. I have done that with all my add-ons for Pale Moon.
UAS is still installed because it is a handy reference, but it will no longer change the user-agent.
(11-20-2021, 10:21 PM)jmillar Wrote: Quite a few extensions that worked a couple of months ago are not working in White Star. How many changes have taken place between 29.1 and 29.4.2?

In fact, I am using the White Star forum from my Pale Moon Browser. White Star says "here be monsters" when I click on the forum link at dbsoft.org ...and when I try to override the warnings it doesn't budge. The White Star is locked out of its own forum (?)  Anyone with this problem?  The sooner White Star severs all its existing links with Pale Moon the better (?)

Should I delete everything and start from scratch?

Pale Moon disabled support for Firefox extensions around then, they need to be made for Pale Moon/White Star to work... My experimental build adds back in support for that, but really these extensions need to be updated for Pale Moon/White Star.