Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MXP Build System on Big Sur
(08-20-2021, 01:26 PM)noobsoftware Wrote: Which I'm pretty sure is a codesign problem. My first assumptions are that the privileges are somehow not being granted properly to some executable or script, because I've tried with the exact same configurations as on Mojave but the only different variable being that the build is on Big Sur. I've tried building with verbose mode but i don't seem to see error messages pertaining to ungranted privileges (probably because it just fails silently). Any ideas on what can be done?

On a side note i was also wondering if there's any progress toward building on apple silicon. I took the first steps towards trying it out by using the python script 2to3 to convert everything to python3 but i encountered some errors and eventually after fixing all the explicit errors the most obvious error i got was that the output folder's name was corrupted in that it contained an extra 'b' letter in the name caused by python2 strings being prefixed with 'b's to convert string so to byte strings.

Can you get a backtrace from that crash?  The unnamed symbol makes it a bit hard to see where in the code it is crashing.

I build on Big Sur for testing, but I have found that the binaries are slightly unstable when using high optimization levels... and when I debug problems I turn optimizations off.....  what I have been using for testing on Big Sur is this .mozconfig:

Code:
# Standard build options for Pale Moon
ac_add_options --enable-application=palemoon
ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O0
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
#ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-devtools
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --with-macos-sdk=/Users/xxxx/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk

# Please see https://www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml for restrictions when using the official branding.
#ac_add_options --enable-official-branding
#export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
ac_add_options --with-branding=palemoon/branding/whitestar

# Uncomment if using clang++ from Xcode 10 or higher
export CXX="/usr/bin/clang++ -std=gnu++11 -stdlib=libc++"

Try building like that then when you ./mach run --debug

Try to get a backtrace from it... so you can see all the symbols to identify the location of the crash.

I have abandoned trying to get it working on Apple Silicon for now, that was my plan before the Pale Moon split... it kind of feels like ultimately it will be a waste of effort since they seem intent on removing everything Mac from the code. Unless I get some sponsorship or something to do this more than in my free time.

Brian

Messages In This Thread
The MXP Build System on Big Sur - by noobsoftware - 08-20-2021, 01:26 PM
RE: The MXP Build System on Big Sur - by dbsoft - 08-20-2021, 07:07 PM
RE: The MXP Build System on Big Sur - by dbsoft - 08-21-2021, 08:59 AM