Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird user-agent reporting
I got a new Mac with Big Sur.  The user-agent reported by White Star (and SeaMonkey) has the OS as version 10.16 where it is really 11.4.  Why is that?
(05-26-2021, 07:23 AM)Goodydino Wrote: I got a new Mac with Big Sur.  The user-agent reported by White Star (and SeaMonkey) has the OS as version 10.16 where it is really 11.4.  Why is that?

That is the expected version to be reported. I build with the 10.7 SDK... if you build with a SDK prior to 11.0 it will report the version as 10.16 for compatibility. (For old apps that don't expect the major version to be 11... since it was 10 for like 20 years).
Slimjet must be ahead of the rest for OS compatibility, then.  It reports the OS as 11.4.  It is 2 versions of Chrome behind compared to the other chromium browsers, though.
(05-27-2021, 02:52 AM)Goodydino Wrote: Slimjet must be ahead of the rest for OS compatibility, then.  It reports the OS as 11.4.  It is 2 versions of Chrome behind compared to the other chromium browsers, though.

Well the SDK doesn't really have a lot to do with execution compatibility... it is more about build compatibility.  Because I have found that the best binaries are produced with the compiler for 10.11 that is what I've been using and the Pale Moon team wanted me to use the 10.7 SDK that worked best. 

That just means they are building with the latest Xcode and SDK... My plan before the Pale Moon Mac destruction initiative was to eventually do 2 builds... continuing to do the compatibility version with Xcode 8 on 10.11 and a future looking version built with the latest Xcode and SDK for MacOS 11 and later on Intel and ARM.

Not sure it is worth investing that kind of time in a source base that the Pale Moon team is actively trying to kill though.