Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pale Moon Reuinification
So, last month Moonchild gave me his blessing to start doing Pale Moon branded versions again, so my current plans are to initially do dual builds.

Starting with the upcoming version 32 release, I will release both White Star and beta branded Pale Moon versions.

The reason for this, is that there has been some minor divergence with the White Star front end, and if there are any issues caused by the reunificiation you can still use the White Star front end if there are problems.

Once any issues are identified and fixed, after a few releases the plan is for Pale Moon builds to be promoted to stable official branding.

At this point, a decision will need to be made to retire the White Star branding, or perhaps keep it for my experimental builds.

What do people think?
(01-18-2023, 04:03 PM)dbsoft Wrote: What do people think?

That is good news for FreeBSD users - following the abandonment of the port work by Olivier Certner (https://www.freshports.org/www/palemoon/). Would it be possible for your work to form the basis of a new port - or are we going to hit the Immovable Object verses Irresistable Force situation that is the upstream use of Python 2 as the basis of their build system verses the port/packaging teams forcible exclusion of anything that uses that declared obsolete Python - even in the form of the Tuathion (?) substitute?

To be honest I was a little put off with how to insert your FreeBSD build into my system - or more accurately - how to uninstall this version when it gets updated because, as it is not a package, there is no simple way to remove all the files should I place them directly in the /usr/local/ part of the filesystem...

On the other hand I was overjoyed to have an up to date browser that will sync to the PaleMoons that I have installed on multiple Windoze and GNU/Linux machines/OSes ... Big Grin
(01-23-2023, 09:56 PM)SlySven Wrote: To be honest I was a little put off with how to insert your FreeBSD build into my system - or more accurately - how to uninstall this version when it gets updated because, as it is not a package, there is no simple way to remove all the files should I place them directly in the /usr/local/ part of the filesystem...

On the other hand I was overjoyed to have an up to date browser that will sync to the PaleMoons that I have installed on multiple Windoze and GNU/Linux machines/OSes ... Big Grin

Well, I am not opposed to making a port. I personally don't install it into /usr/local I put it into my home directory... or use the ./mach install to install it which requires the source, I have not attempted to uninstall it using that method.

I have had issues in the past getting my patches into FreeBSD, they are notoriously closed off, even though I love the system. But willing to give it a try, or perhaps make a private version of it... will see what I can do when I get some time... have a few other things on my plate that take precedence.
What do we people think? We The People are HAPPY AF.