Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback for White Star 30
(03-19-2022, 12:38 AM)dbsoft Wrote: Ok so... basically what I am saying is that like 80% of the code changes in Pale Moon 30 are removing stuff I don't think should be removed, and rearranging the files.

I am not in their heads but the reorganization is probably due to one or both of these things:

Trying to prove Goanna is something new and not basically just a fork of Gecko.
Trying to make it difficult for people like me to do forks of Pale Moon.

To me, I would like to keep it organized like Mozilla so changes from them are easier to incorporate.

What I have been doing up to this point, is just following what Pale Moon has been doing and skipping any changes that would break White Star for Mac.

The two options I have are:

To keep doing what I have been... reorganizing the files to match Pale Moon and just skip any change that breaks White Star.
Or... I can just take the changes of interest and put them into my existing tree.

The first option would keep White Star as basically just a Mac version of Pale Moon.
The second option would cause more divergence with the Pale Moon code base, but less divergence from Mozilla.
The second option would be less work to get 30 released.
The second option would make it easier to port changes from Mozilla, like I am doing with my new clang changes.
The second option would give me an excuse to start releasing Windows and Linux versions of White Star.

Obviously, I am leaning towards the second option at this point, but I wanted to get community feedback before I did it.

Brian

Think I agree with KlarkKent, 2nd option is probably the goal eventually.

Also, thank you so much for the work you do on this, much appreciated Smile
I'm a bit late to the party. I choose 2nd option.
I was a bit hesitant to announce anything, but it looks like I will be working with the Pale Moon team again, restoring MacOS support into a unified UXP for everyone. It hasn't been decided if the front end will reunite, but the back end will. So probably won't have to worry about either of those options. Smile
I knew this was a strong possibility once the event........ evented.
At last, the trilogy is complete! XD

Moon Wars: Wolf vs Puffer Fish

Moon Wars II: The Battle of Mypal

Moon Wars III: The Epic Conclusion
The MacOS code has now been merged back into the Pale Moon UXP. 

I can now build White Star with the Pale Moon UXP unmodified... not sure if there will be any other versions before the Pale Moon/White Star 31 release, but White Star 31 will absolutely use the Pale Moon UXP, if there are any security updates before it, I'll see where things stand to decide if I will continue to use my fork, or the newly unified UXP.

Brian
More good news! Monterey Audio problems fixed. Modern build system (Xcode/clang) crash also fixed!

Fixes will be committed to the Pale Moon UXP repository soon... if there is a security update before Pale Moon/White Star 31 I'll merge those changes into my UXP repository too.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2022-05-05_at_3.23.22_PM.png]