Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
White Star 29.4.5
Download SHA256: 66b7df9c452b8bf8d079be825e3e272474b30ee18f2b210794ab32dc4bbd7273
Download for Monterey SHA256: 849ce290e93c9ac1f153ba31a81a02ef3082d9a8617484c6d57e99dac3239bac
Source Code GitHub: White-Star UXP
Release Notes

Security update. 

Included a separate build for MacOS 12 Monterey. This was built with the latest Xcode clang optimization level 1 with the additional level 2 optimizations that I could enable via clang options. (This means it is not fully release optimized, but close) However the Monterey build does not have the audio issues present in the normal build on MacOS 12 Monterey.

I have been trying to figure out which optimization was causing the issue, but the Xcode bundled clang does not have the "opt" command which allows us to enable optimizations individually. There may be a way to do it with Xcode clang, but I haven't figured it out yet. Hopefully I will have either the optimization issue worked around or the individual optimization disabled for the White Star 30 release.
It werks.
Thanks!
Just wondering did you use the main branch for building on Monterey? I see the clang branch hasn't been updated as recently. When i tried to build using the master branch using -O2 it fails when trying to package and also when trying to run i get the following error:
* thread #1, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1d0)
frame #0: 0x0000000106f7c6ba XUL`___lldb_unnamed_symbol66960$$XUL + 42
XUL`___lldb_unnamed_symbol66960$$XUL:
-> 0x106f7c6ba <+42>: movq 0x1b0(%rdi), %rax
0x106f7c6c1 <+49>: leaq 0x10(%rax), %rcx
0x106f7c6c5 <+53>: testq %rax, %rax
0x106f7c6c8 <+56>: cmoveq %rdi, %rcx
Target 0: (basilisk) stopped.

Should i be using the Clang branch instead to build on Monterey?

Ah, i misunderstood about the optimizations. I will try building using an older version of macOS.
Silver v1.4.7: https://noob.software/downloads/silver-v1.4.7.dmg

UXP Platform source https://github.com/dbsoft/UXP
Silver source https://github.com/noobsoftware/Silver
(03-24-2022, 03:20 PM)noobsoftware Wrote: Just wondering did you use the main branch for building on Monterey? I see the clang branch hasn't been updated as recently. When i tried to build using the master branch using -O2 it fails when trying to package and also when trying to run i get the following error:
* thread #1, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS (code=1, address=0x1d0)
    frame #0: 0x0000000106f7c6ba XUL`___lldb_unnamed_symbol66960$$XUL + 42
XUL`___lldb_unnamed_symbol66960$$XUL:
->  0x106f7c6ba <+42>: movq  0x1b0(%rdi), %rax
    0x106f7c6c1 <+49>: leaq  0x10(%rax), %rcx
    0x106f7c6c5 <+53>: testq  %rax, %rax
    0x106f7c6c8 <+56>: cmoveq %rdi, %rcx
Target 0: (basilisk) stopped.

Should i be using the Clang branch instead to build on Monterey?

Ah, i misunderstood about the optimizations. I will try building using an older version of macOS.

The code changes in the newclang branch didn't fix the optimization crash... even though it eliminated the code that the crash had been occuring in, the crash just started happening somewhere else.  I merged the first 4 commits into master... but the last 4 have not had enough testing... and I did experience an unexpected crash in my few days of testing so I am not convinced it is stable yet.  After I do more testing those commits will eventually be merged to master too, however they did not fix the problem.   So for now use the master branch.

For Monterey builds I am using the following optimization options: "-O1 -fvectorize -fslp-vectorize"

-fvectorize and -fslp-vectorize are optimizations from -O2 ... but there are more that don't have clang options... instead you are supposed to enable them using -mllvm <opt>

Where <opt> is an option to the LLVM opt command, however this does not seem to work with Apple's clang from Xcode.

So I am not sure which of the remaining -O2 options are causing the crash.

If you want to build on Monterey with the latest Xcode for now use the "-O1 -fvectorize -fslp-vectorize" options... this will get you as close to -O2 as possible with clang options.
Why does it take half a minute for the Monterey version to open the window?  My home page is about:blank, so the homepage cannot be the reason.  Also, I cannot get YouTube videos to play, if I can even load the page, which sometimes does not work (unresponsive script).
(03-27-2022, 08:48 PM)Goodydino Wrote: Why does it take half a minute for the Monterey version to open the window?  My home page is about:blank, so the homepage cannot be the reason.  Also, I cannot get YouTube videos to play, if I can even load the page, which sometimes does not work (unresponsive script).

I assume due to some of the missing optimizations? I am currently not recommending running the Monterey version unless you are on Monterey, even though it should work on any version from 10.7.  It is a work in progress, hoping to figure out what optimization is causing the problem... and either individually disable it, or use that knowledge to formulate a source workaround.

I personally don't see the issue opening a new window, it takes about 2 seconds on my 2017 MacBook Air. I have run into the script message on YouTube a few times, I don't know if it is specific to the Monterey version, but I have run into that on the Monterey version, I just put "Don't show message again" and it runs ok. The Monterey version is missing about 8 optimizations that the other version has, so it is quite possibly slower at certain operations.
I have a relatively new computer, bought last year, and have the latest version of Monterey. The normal mac version of White Star 29.4.5 loads faster, and plays videos, although silently. If I want to watch a video, I have 4 other browsers which all work normally with videos, so the silent video issue is not a huge problem. That script message on YouTube is unique to the Monterey version. I have not run into it with the normal version.
(03-28-2022, 06:29 AM)Goodydino Wrote: I have a relatively new computer, bought last year, and have the latest version of Monterey. The normal mac version of White Star 29.4.5 loads faster, and plays videos, although silently.  If I want to watch a video, I have 4 other browsers which all work normally with videos, so the silent video issue is not a huge problem.  That script message on YouTube is unique to the Monterey version.  I have not run into it with the normal version.

Well that is why I released the two versions... I'm working on the issue and hope to have a solution soon. If you want to use the other build with sound you can run it from the Terminal.app like I suggested for previous versions.