Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
White Star 29.4.4
Download SHA256: 6b29456b33a302e5a717ac712e98aa270dcda3a9219d69c43b1f8d8c7b8257f4
Source Code GitHub: White-Star UXP
Release Notes

Security update. 

Note: The old repositories and builds have now been removed from the public. If you want a build or source older than 29.4.3 contact me directly.

This build does not address the MacOS 12 Monterey audio problem, but as noted in a post on the 29.4.3 thread, if you start White Star from the command line then the sound works:

Code:
/Applications/White\ Star.app/Contents/MacOS/whitestar

Enjoy!

Brian
It works, as I normally expect.
(01-19-2022, 12:26 AM)dbsoft Wrote: This build does not address the MacOS 12 Monterey audio problem, but as noted in a post on the 29.4.3 thread, if you start White Star from the command line then the sound works:

Just a status update on the Monterey audio problem, I did a build on Monterey itself with the latest Xcode, and it does not have the problem at all.

I would like to have a single build for all MacOS versions, but maybe I should consider having a second build for newer versions of MacOS.

Any thoughts on that?
(01-20-2022, 06:09 PM)dbsoft Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 12:26 AM)dbsoft Wrote: This build does not address the MacOS 12 Monterey audio problem, but as noted in a post on the 29.4.3 thread, if you start White Star from the command line then the sound works:

Just a status update on the Monterey audio problem, I did a build on Monterey itself with the latest Xcode, and it does not have the problem at all.

I would like to have a single build for all MacOS versions, but maybe I should consider having a second build for newer versions of MacOS.

Any thoughts on that?

It sounds like a good idea.
 With this new version of White Star, a YouTube page crashes the browser as soon as it opens.  I tried a new profile and the crashing did not occur, but the sound still does not work in multimedia.  It is not an add-on causing the crashing; I added back all my add-ons into the new profile and there was no crashing.  I do not understand what is causing YouTube pages to crash with this version 29.4.4.  What worked with 29.4.3 was to change one setting but that does not work here.

Where do you put this command line? Does that go into the Mac terminal?
(01-20-2022, 10:25 PM)Goodydino Wrote: With this new version of White Star, a YouTube page crashes the browser as soon as it opens.  I tried a new profile and the crashing did not occur, but the sound still does not work in multimedia.  It is not an add-on causing the crashing; I added back all my add-ons into the new profile and there was no crashing.  I do not understand what is causing YouTube pages to crash with this version 29.4.4.  What worked with 29.4.3 was to change one setting but that does not work here.

Where do you put this command line?  Does that go into the Mac terminal?

Yes open Terminal.app in the Utilities folder, and then paste that command into it. Still perplexing to me why it works like that but not normally.

Sometimes profiles can get corrupted, if something weird starts happening the first thing I do is try it with a clean profile.

Will take me some time to get the dual builds going, since there are a few issues that need to be worked out with the new compiler.  (It crashes with optimizations enabled) But I'll look into doing that, I am also getting Windows builds going.
I know most of you here are Mac users, but here is White Star 29.4.4 running on Windows 11. Smile

[Image: WhiteStarWin.png]
... and on Ubuntu Linux...
[Image: WhiteStarLinux.png]
The problem with YouTube crashing White Star 29.4.4 is not consistent. Especially if I open Chromedit Plus first (without changing any settings) and use it to restart, YouTube pages do not cause crashing. This is weird. What is so special about Chromedit Plus?
(01-22-2022, 09:25 PM)Goodydino Wrote: The problem with YouTube crashing White Star 29.4.4 is not consistent.  Especially if I open Chromedit Plus first (without changing any settings) and use it to restart, YouTube pages do not cause crashing.  This is weird.  What is so special about Chromedit Plus?

I have never used that before. Where do you get that extension? Is there a specific version of it  you are using?

Also I am working on upgrading some of the javascript code in White Star, so it is closer to the version that Seamonkey is using, so it will be stable with newer versions of clang/Xcode.  I am going to push it to the UXP repository under the branch "newclang" ... I am hesitant to push this to the master branch since it is a divergence from the base Pale Moon code, and not sure if Moonchild would even accept my patches.
You can get Chromedit Plus from here: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/I...Plus.shtml
It has to be tweaked to install. Install.rdf has to have the pale moon ID, min & max version info added to it.

I thought Moonchild completely abandoned any idea of Mac versions.
(01-25-2022, 06:55 PM)Goodydino Wrote: I thought Moonchild completely abandoned any idea of Mac versions.

He did, that is why I am worried.  The code is not Mac specific, but the changes are to help with new versions of clang. So these patches will diverge White Star from Pale Moon in the JS engine.